Friday, May 18, 2007

Fairy Tale vs Real World

I remember when I was a kid, I used to always dream of growing up. I used to sit and picture what kind of a fascinating and magnificent life i’ll lead. Come to think of it, isnt that what we all thought and still think? No one ever thinks they’ll be “average” or lead an “ordinary” life. Everyone thought they’re bound to achieve greatness, be exceptional, phenomenal, meant to make a difference. You grow up deluded you’ll have it all. The prosperous, successful career doing something you’re passionate about, the perfect husband who happens to be your soul mate and who you were destined to be with, the smart, beautiful children sent from heaven, the 15 acre mansion, the Phantom Rolls Royce, the spectacular getaway in Malibu or Tuscany, the endless closets with haute coutures sent to you by the most prominent designers in the business who you happen to be very good friends with. No? Just me? :p oh well you get the picture. My point being what if you never get what you want. What if that perfect reality you once imagined you’d live is just that, a figment of your imagination? What if not everyone is that lucky? You get the brilliant career but you end up with a cheating abusive bastard who’s a sorry excuse for a husband or you marry the love of your life but you have no career, you’re broke and your seconds away from living on the curb.

I personally believe you can never get the perfect package. I mean really what are the odds you’d find a Raoul Bova look alike in Saudi? huh?:p Im one of those people that believe you have to learn how to compromise, maybe then you’ll end up with an almost perfect life. The question is how much will you be willing to compromise? If you’re willing to settle for less, how much less are we talking? How much is too much?

Anyways, all that got me thinking about “The One” theory. You know, the one that states there’s a perfect match, an ultimate soul mate for each and every one of us out there and if you wait long enough you’ll find him/her. Honestly that sounds like a load of crap to me. Statistically speaking, what are the odds you’ll end up with your “other half”? There are over 6 billion people in the world and only one is meant for you? How do you know if that “one” even lives in the same country? What if you already met him and let him go without realizing who you were letting go? What if your “one” is a junkie/pimp who was already shot and killed in some gangster fight? i got carried away i know :p

Bottom line, do you think we all need to believe we’ll have our fairy tale ending? Do we hold on to that with everything we’ve got, that shred of hope? Or do we choose to live in the real, harsh reality that there’s a possibility we wont get what we want and be prepared to just settle for average?

Glam

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a topic i'm in a constant debate over (be it with myself or with Classy lol).. And no matter how much you think it through, there really is no "answer"..

The way i see it though, is that no one has it all. Life may seem unfair sometimes, some people may look like they have the "perfect" life with the perfect most understanding husband, the cutest little children, and the hot-shot career, but trust me when i tell you things aren't always as they seem.. Learn to look deep, and you'll find that everyone's life is just as "flawed" (sorry if that sounds kinda harsh) as yours.. I think it's a matter of accepting what you're given that causes some people to lead happier lives than others.. So yeah, aim high but don't let your expectations hold you back from accepting the good things in life.. Compromise, but accept what God has blessed you with (which, btw is ALWAYS much more than meets the eye)..

Believe in your fairy tale ending (but make it a little more realistic/litte less "fairytale-ish lol).. and instead of settling for a life you're not satisfied with, make the most out of what you've got.. Seriously, you're more than halfway there if you learn to accept what you've been granted with..

Oh and about "the one" theory.. LOL.. we'll discuss that one later ;p

Anonymous said...

Thought Provocative!!
I'm not sure am very aware of this fairy tale life you speak of,
ummm uh you see:
i kinda thought I'll end up starting on a Spanish soap opera or into forensics,as an advisor on
CSI!which is fine by me
lol with glam ;P

Honestly speaking,
about the "glamorous life":
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight" Rush -a progressive rock band-

I TRULY BELIEVE IN THAT QUOTE!!

about "the one"
I can't help but share the same questions you have in mind..
I mean I'd like to at least meet my one before knowing how we'll end up..

yeah fairy tale VS reality?
Who wins??
I'll tell ya who!
YOU!!

P.S. it's perfectly normal to find my answer to the "vs" question unreasonable
i mean "How shall i know??" ;P

Anonymous said...

Why can't you have both, because I think with your own choices, making the right ones, or even the wrong ones BUT learnig from them, you can have the cake and eat it!

Life is good to you, and it also suck sometimes...to feel stuck, to feel like you may have rushed things, but at the end of the day fate conquers... what happens is written, we can't deny it, we can't go back and change it...

life is our game to play, play it well, to the full, play it expecting losses but fighting for wins, play it expecting changes, and expecting that it could just stay the same...but don't not play it!

The one...I think I am the last to talk! I know most of you are unsure what love is, or if it can exist between two people... I know it does, now whether its something that's good for me or not, that's just part of the game I am willing to play... I am sacraficing alot (so is he) but it's part of the game... I think once you love, you can sacrafice, to an extent...and everything will stay how you want it to...

I love, it's a big word but I do, and yeah why not...there could be just one who is perfect for you, or 6 million who are...but when you find the person that wants you, that's when it won't matter anymore... because to have someone whose life is YOU... I can't describe it...

Anonymous said...

i think believing that "the one" exists will make u doubt every relationship and every guy u meet n like .. i don't believe in soulmates .. if you find someone you love and who loves you back then that's enough .. you don't have to believe a person is your soulmate for it to work...

aiming high and believing you could live a fairytale life is good sometimes .. it gives u motivation .. it gives you something to look forward to .. you have to be realistic and accept whatever comes your way but trying to achieve what you believe would be your fairytale isn't wrong. just don't expect it to all happen without fighting and working hard for it...

Dazed and Confused said...

Raoul Bova.... good choice , Gael Garcia does it for me ;) he is what i like to refer to as "hormone rager" ok.... enough said!!!

great blog btw :)

this post is really interesting. i was reading it and i thought i was reading a post i had written a while back about the "the one" and how depressing the idea sounds !!

checkout the "perfect pair" on my blog and let me know what u think ... i guess we all think the same way regarding this topic , i'm yet to meet someone that believes in this one crap :)

Anonymous said...

D & C: Hormone rager lol. That's a nice way of putting it. Gael Garcia..didnt know he was the one in Babel. Isnt he sizzling though :p

Just finished reading your "Perfect Pair" post. Well, what can i say, great minds think alike. Maybe because we're in Saudi, with all the limited options you start to wonder if such a thing even exists. Oh well, looks like it was just Disney who believed it did.

I checked out a couple more posts. I loved the Closure posts. It made a lot of sense to me. I think you managed to explain all the mixed, confused, jumbled post-relationship emotions (the need to call, the need to discuss it over and over again and talk about what went wrong, the constant wondering whether it was you that drove him/her away) into a healthy need of closure.

p.s fashion forward..brilliant. We should go shopping sometime :D

Dazed and Confused said...

Anytime :)