Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My own memory...

The Persistence of Memory "also called Soft Watches or Melting Clocks" is one of the most famous paintings by the surrealist Salvador Dali'. When I first saw it in one of my art classes I admired it and admired the way Dali' expressed himself in his work. So I wanted to know more. What is surrealism? and what does this painting mean? This force of curiosity I call led me to search into the complicated yet meaningful movement of Art, and this is what I've interpreted.
****
Basically Surrealism is expressing thoughts in a philosophical way, which is not only restricted to visual art and usually involves an element of surprise. The psychoanalysis of Sigmund Freud have inspired Surrealism, when he interpreted dreams and showed that "most of our mind, like an iceberg, lies beneath the surface in the depths of the unconscious, and that the thinking, feeling and action of man is decisively informed by unconscious powers". Therefore, most of the surrealists' work is a mix between dream and reality, which is why it's called "super-reality".
****
Usually when I look deeply into a painting like this, I feel like I am dipping into the dream world where the real outside world has been replaced by the "reality of mind", and that Dali's thoughts are no longer driven by the conscious mind but by "higher centers" as we say in Med.
It also illustrates real objects Clocks in an unrealistic manner soft, making it look like "dream visions dragged into reality".
For Dali', "clocks are instruments of measurement, which represented the reality principle, while soft objects belonged to the pleasure principle". I saw a connection between preception of time and space so that the soft clocks are "flowing" through space, meaning that time is flowing. It also "give the impression of a time and space of memory dissolving into the distance, and unconsciously influences the experience of the present".
****
This area of art where there is an overlap between art, expressionism and psychology influenced me to the extent that it was my inspiration in the art exam final piece, and I ended up with an unexpected grade!! Thats why I think that Dali' "the painterly photographer of dreams" deserves a "space" in the "memory" of this blog!!!
****



<<<-----------------------
My final piece...
Sporty Doc.
****

2 comments:

A Triumphant Pursuit said...

"most of our mind, like an iceberg, lies beneath the surface in the depths of the unconscious, and that the thinking, feeling and action of man is decisively informed by unconscious powers"
Freud is one of those people i've always wanted to have at least one conversation with lol..
and your painting's very interesting mashallah yiji minnik ;) .. if ONLY we could all learn to see the people within, rather than simply the image that masks us all.. the world would be a different place, and maybe we'd learn to be better people, don't you think?

Savvy.

A Triumphant Pursuit said...

such a thoughtful "memory" you've got,artistic and educational!!
Sporty doc always know how to write using "confidence" as her motivation, medicine as here "game" a game that will not stop her from "playing" in other "fields" of life.

Beautiful Painting mashallah :D
Perfect choice of elements
Accurately detailed..



Vintage Doc.